At the Law Office Of W. Matthew Iler, Jr., attorney Iler’s extensive litigation experience includes trial and appellate work in both state and federal courts. Learn more about his litigation record below.
Representative court cases include:
- Ciampa v. Bank of America, Et al., 88 Mass. App. Ct. 28 (2015)
- Cash One Finance, Inc. v. Santiago, et al., Mass, No. 16-024-08 (2008)
- Cash One Finance, Inc. v. Santiago, et al., Malden, Mass, No. 16-024-08 (2008)
- Omega Diagnostic Imaging, P.C. v. Illinois Nat’l Ins. Co., N.Y. Slip Op. 27305 (2007)
- Omega Diagnostic Imaging, P.C. v. Illinois Nat’l Ins. Co., N.Y. Dist. Ct. (2007)
- Omega Diagnostic Imaging, P.C. v. State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co., N.Y. Slip Op. 51045(U) (2007)
- Omega Diagnostic Imaging, P.C. v. State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co., N.Y. Dist. Ct. (2007)
- Commonwealth v. Moquin, No. WOCR 2001-0189, Mass. Sup. Ct. (2004)
- Commonwealth v. Shea, (assault with intent to murder and armed robbery), 46 Mass. App. Ct. 196, 704 N.E.2d 518 (1999)
- Commonwealth v. Leonard, 422 Mass. 504, 663 N.E.2d 828, cert. denied, 519 U.S. 877 (1996)
- Commonwealth v. Viera, 41 Mass. App. Ct. 206, 669 N.E.2d 209 (1996)
- Commonwealth v. Morgan, 422 Mass. 373, 663 N.E.2d 247 (1996)
- Commonwealth v. Hernandez, 421 Mass. 272, 656 N.E.2d 1237 (1995)
- Commonwealth v. Mayne, 38 Mass. App. Ct. 282, 647 N.E.2d 89 (1995)
Representative Litigation Issues
- In 2012, the former Prime Minister of Ukraine, Yulia Tymoshenko (also named by Forbes Magazine in 2005 as the third most powerful woman in the world), while imprisoned in Ukraine, was sued under seal in Massachusetts federal court on allegations of conspiracy and interference with contracts while serving as Ukraine’s Prime Minister. Attorney Iler, as local counsel, initially won an order unsealing the case, then successfully argued Tymoshenko’s motion to dismiss the entire lawsuit.
- Attorney Iler is a counsel to several Massachusetts commercial and residential property owners, representing over one-half million square feet of commercial property and several 100 residential apartments.
- Attorney Iler recently won a commercial eviction trial for his client, a property owner, overcoming several procedural defects in the client’s case during trial. Attorney Iler has tried numerous commercial and residential eviction cases.
- Attorney Iler secured, ex parte (without the opposition present), a temporary restraining order on behalf of a commercial landlord, attaching machinery installed in his client’s industrial building, thereby beating other creditors to court and forcing a settlement for over $130,000 in favor of his client.
- In a trademark infringement case, attorney Iler recently obtained a preliminary injunction in superior court prohibiting a putative competitor from infringing upon attorney Iler’s client’s trademark in a specialty foods distribution business.
- When a customer of attorney Iler’s client refused to pay for manufactured goods, falsely claiming the goods to be defective, attorney Iler struck first in court, obtaining an ex parte order freezing monies owed to the customer by a third party, thus prompting a settlement paying off the client in full.
- In a lawsuit filed against attorney Iler’s client by the client’s partner in a limited liability company (LLC), alleging breach of fiduciary duty and conversion concerning the proceeds of a land sale, attorney Iler’s summary judgment brief brought out fatal deficiencies in the opposition’s case, precipitating settlement and dismissal of all claims against his client, totaling several hundred thousand dollars, for a nominal payment by his client.
- After attorney Iler’s client, a produce wholesaler, was adjudged to have improperly withheld payment for a truckload of damaged fruit, Mr. Iler took the case to the United States Supreme Court, seeking reversal on certiorari.
- Attorney Iler resolved numerous cases short of litigation by utilizing forceful and detailed legal demand letters, thereby avoiding litigation and saving the clients substantial time and money.
Contact A Trusted Business Litigation Attorney
To schedule an initial consultation with attorney Iler, complete the online intake form. The firm’s offices are conveniently located in Boston and in Beverly.